Student & Parent Handbook
All students are expected to give proper attention to personal cleanliness and to dress appropriately for school and school functions. An individual’s appearance does have a bearing on how he/she behaves and how others respond to him/her. Students and their parents have the primary responsibility for acceptable student dress and appearance. Teachers and all other district personnel should exemplify and reinforce acceptable dress and help students develop an understanding of appropriate appearance in the school setting. Student attire must follow these guidelines:
- The attire must not interfere with or disrupt the educational process.
- Footwear must be worn at all times for safety reasons.
- Midriff tops, halter-tops, tube tops, plunging necklines and see-through garments are not appropriate and may not be worn.
- Shorts and skirts may be no shorter than mid-thigh length.
- Underwear must be completely covered with outer clothing. This includes tank top undershirts.
- Doo-rags and bandannas are not permitted.
- Sunglasses, hats, visors, or any other headwear may not be worn in the classrooms, unless it is for religious or medical purposes.
- Clothing that is vulgar, obscene, libelous, or denigrates others on account of actual or perceived race, color, weight, religion, creed, national origin, ethnic group, religious practice, gender (identity or expression), sex, sexual orientation, disability, or height will not be tolerated.
- Clothing that promotes, endorses or makes reference to alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, or violence is not permitted.
- Clothing which advocates gang identity is not permitted.
- Chains, spikes and other dangerous ornaments are not permitted.
- Coats and other outerwear should be placed in lockers.
- Headphones should not be worn in the hallways or in classrooms. They should be put away with the exception of being in the cafeteria or library.
Teachers and other staff members will send students who violate any article of this dress code to the assistant principal’s office. A student who violates the student dress code will be required to modify his/her appearance by covering or removing the offending item. Students who repeatedly fail to comply with the dress code will be subject to disciplinary measures. The consequences for violating the dress code or any other school policies can be found under the section Code of Conduct and Consequences.